Thursday 2 April 2009

Football... if you can't beat 'em join 'em...

sturdy legs and ponytails...

I have stood on countless touchlines in my time and watched thousands of man hours of football.I could tell you the offside rule and talk you through a step over.I have washed stinky football kit and cleaned muddy football boots. I have cheered when my men won their matches and consoled when they lost. But I have never dreamed of actually playing football myself....until now.


I cannot quite believe it, but I have succumbed to the call of the beautiful game and the invitation of a local ladies team, and I will be playing this Sunday!! I would imagine that I will be rather girly, afraid of the ball and probably pretty rubbish - but you never know... I will borrow my husband's shin pads and football socks and put on some sort of trouser that will prevent astro turf burns. I refuse point blank to wear anything that resembles the shiny sweaty nylonness of a proper football shirt.

women's football in the olden days!

If you can't beat 'em join 'em...
So. Watch this space for my first match report. Sunday... Secret Housewife plays footie...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just but imagine your next post - "knackered, aching all over, muddy, cold, need hot bath & alcohol medication NOW!!"

Good luck; the closest I think i'll ever get is that new Brian Clough film! x

Unknown said...

Hey, Urban Cynic - you should try it!!You even get to go to the bar after!!