Saturday 17 July 2010

I have an allotment ... so excited I couldn't sleep!!!

Ok... I know that sounds a bit... well, very sad.But its true! I went to see my allotment yesterday with the lady from the council and I fell in love with it....

For those of you who don't know allotments are areas of land set aside by local authorities for local people.You pay a small rent for the land ( mine will be £18 per year ) and on it you can grow fruit and veg.Mine is 75 square metres. It is completely overgrown, but I feel inspired to take it on!! Ask me again in about 2 weeks and I may feel differently!!!

I didn't have my camera with me when I went to see it, but if you look up the top on my Secret Allotment page.... you will see a photo of one very similar.I plan to keep a photo diary of the garden on that page, so you can see my progress!

When I was little ( oh, and there's a photo of that on my Secret Housewife the story so far page - yes I have been a busy girl ) we had quite a large garden with a vegetable garden at the top of the plot.I remember sitting under the gooseberry bushes eating sweet sweet fruit in the summer time.Just delicious!!

My plan with the allotment is to clear it well, make beds, put up a shed, make paths and maybe actually plant some stuff! I would like potatoes, onions, garlic, lettuces for definite and also a fruit section - with raspberries, strawberries and... you guessed... gooseberries!

5 comments:

Marlene said...

Interesting, I had never heard of an allotment so learned something today. Congratulations and good luck with it. My grandfather grew gooseberries and yes they are yummy. I haven't had a gooseberry in over 40 years.

Alexandra MacVean said...

You had me chuckling reading your post just now. :) I will definitely ask you in 2 weeks if you still feel the same. hahaha

Wishing you a great weekend.

Julia Christie said...

Oh this sounds like so much fun! I love this whole idea - I will be looking forward to watching your progress! Lots of hard work, but oh the rewards! Pretty reasonable rent too.

Smiles

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

This is my intro to the whole allotment deal too. I love it.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

sarah at secret housewife said...

Hi Marlene! I haven't had a gooseberry in about that time either!

Sophia - I'm glad I made you chuckle! We aim to please!

Julia - I can't wait to post photos for you.My first crop will be interesting!!

Hi Lisa! Welcome! I love your blog so I am glad you are following me !! I would love to compare allotments! Good luck with yours.

Sarah xx