Monday 3 October 2011

EA300 - Children's Literature - first tutorial on Saturday.

This Saturday I will be attending the first tutorial of my new course. I am studying EA300 with the Open University and this course will be my final one before I can finally pick up my degree. EA300 is the study of Children's Literature.

As is usual with these things I am filled with a mixture of excitement and nerves. Will the course be interesting? Will my tutor be helpful? Will I cope with the essays?

I think, having braved the horrors of AA316 which was the study of Nineteenth Century literature, that I can cope with anything!! So far the reading seems pretty reasonable and nowhere near as intense as last year. I am ahead of the game at the moment, having read all the set books and a lot of the course texts too.



Still, its not over until the fat lady sings so I won't be getting too cocky just yet! The books we are studying are:

  • Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone.
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
  • Junk.
  • Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry.
  • The other Side of Truth
  • Little Women
  • Swallows and Amazons
  • 100 Best Children's Poems.
  • Voices in the Park.
  • Coram Boy.
  • Treasure Island.
  • Tom's Midnight Garden.
Some fabulous books there as far as I'm concerned - some of which I had never heard of, but all of which I have loved reading. I especially love Little Women, Swallows and Amazons and Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry, but I would definitely recommend them all if you've not read them already.

I will let you know how the tutorial goes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took a Kid's Lit module in my degree. We looked at dhal, Suess, C. S Lews, Ted Hughes & Salman Rushdie. Also Harry Potter and most interesting - Picture Books (Anthony Brown). The lecturer mostly tore them to pieces - in a challenging and academic, feminist way. This was OK for all of us older students, but the younger ones took it to heart, and complained that she had ruined thoer childhood memories of Harry Potter, Lewis & Dhal. Enjoy your Tutorial! I'm looking forward to you feedback on it. PS: Jack Zipes is a really interesting Kid's Lit academic to Read.

Anonymous said...

Dear Secret Housewife,

Thanks for your blog. I am keen on doing this module. Do you have an Honours (360 points) or Ordinary (300 points)Degree now?
Can I ask you; what other modules did you take?

Simes.

sarah at secret housewife said...

Hi Simes
I have an Honours Degree now.The other modules I did were Approaching Literature and then The 19th Century Novel.Good luck with your choice!
Sarah