Monday 14 November 2011

There's a Mermaid in my book bag ...

A little while ago I wrote a review on a book that talked about living in the "Now". I try to live each moment in the "now" - giving my time and attention to those around me. It certainly gives me moments of absolute joy.

The other day I took a small group of children to do some special work and one of the little boys asked if he could tell me a story before we started. Of course it might have been tempting to put him off, get on with the work, but I didn't - I listened.

And listening was sooooooo worth it! He told me how, on the way to school, he had rescued a mermaid ... She had been run over by a car and he had seen her and rescued her. He told the other children and me not to worry .... she was ok. He had put her in his book bag and she was warm and safe, recovering from her ordeal. He reassured us that he had given her some water and some of my favourite food.

The other children sat with baited breath as he described her in intricate detail, aware that he had our attention.

It was one of those moments that money just can't buy. Those children, him, me, in that little room, experiencing a moment of magic, a moment of pure imagination. For a little while there really was a mermaid in his book bag...

The fact that I had taken the time to listen made the moment possible and I wondered afterwards how many moments like that are missed in our busy lives. We all shared something special that morning and I will certainly remember it always.

3 comments:

Inkling said...

I LOVE this post. You are such a good teacher.

Urban Cynic said...

What a lovely story. I try to live in the moment as much as I can (especially if I'm having a boring day!) I also write down the 3 best things that happened to me that day just before I go to bed. It's very easy to always be looking to the future or the past, but that way you miss the now.

sarah at secret housewife said...

thanks! x