Friday 31 October 2014

Changing lifestyle & Walking to be Fit.

Over the years I have been fortunate to be pretty fit and healthy.I have tried my hand at various sports and although I've never been particularly brilliant at any of them I've not been awful either. My basic level of fitness has been good. Six years ago I ran the London Marathon and before that I was running four times a week in order to train. I've enjoyed playing football once a week, tennis, skiing.



Blimey! I sound like a complete sports freak!! But I'm not and as I say I have never been particularly brilliant at any of this. The main thing thing though, and the most important thing, was that I was getting out, trying my best and having fun. My heart, lungs and muscles were active, as was my mind.

Over the last couple of years my activity has slowed down, dropped off and has been replaced by ... well, basically by sitting on my fat backside eating crisps and drinking wine...



This has begun to worry me. I am 50 now and I don't want to turn into a big fat unhealthy couch potato. I find running harder these days because I end up with sore knees and hips and its just not as enjoyable as it used to be. So I have started to create a new regime of exercise. I have begun yoga classes once a week and plan to practise yoga at home too. I have also started adult ballet classes once a week.

But I have been wondering what else to do that will raise my heart rate, be enjoyable, but not pound my joints. I read a really interesting blog post from Morgan Prince today over at Shaking Away the Cobwebs. She was saying what I had been thinking. She goes out walking, makes time for a 30 minute walk each day and she has started yoga. She shared a great yoga video for beginners too. I read it and thought Yes! This is the way!

The thing is, we all are in such a rush these days. My Granny used to walk everywhere, even into her 80's and she was as fit as a fiddle. Now we want to get everywhere quickly. The journey is an inconvenient part of our day that we want over as quickly as possible. Even the times I have walked to work I have been worried about how long it has taken, how long it will take me to get home. Hurry, hurry, hurry.

So today I have decided to take a leaf out of Morgan's book and make time for myself. My walking will be 30 minutes to an hour of exercise, probably 3 or 4 times a week - sometimes more, sometimes less. And in that time I can take photos, fill my lungs with fresh air, think and get my heart working. I went out this morning ...



I had such a lovely walk and my heart rate went up, my muscles were working, my lungs were working. It felt great and I could wear my normal clothes. No changing into sports bra and running kit - just put on my walking boots and head out the door. I came back happy and full of beans. 

If I can keep doing this I will be walking about 6 to 10 miles a week as well as my ballet and yoga. And the walking is free, which is excellent! I am determined not to let my body go to seed and I want to invest in my future. I don't want to look at myself in 5 years time and think "God! What went wrong?!"

We only have one body and I have been lucky enough to be fit and healthy for the last 50 years. Now I need to make a conscious effort to try and be fit and healthy for the next 50!









7 comments:

Morgan Prince said...

Sarah thank you so much for the lovely mention! I'm so pleased I inspired you to get outside and you got some beautiful photos.
I love the fact that the walking is free (and so is watching a yoga video!), my exercise doesn't cost me anything and I'm getting all the stretching and heart rate increase that I need. I hope you continue to feel brilliant after your walks. Here's to the next 50 years! *clink ;)

Sarah Pellew said...

Hi Morgan. It was my pleasure! Your post was exactly what I was looking for! *clink!*
Sarah
x

Angie SilverSpoon said...

I love exercising, it really lifts my mood and makes me feel happy. Also a major necessity now I'm a food blogger!
Lots of love,
Angie

Sarah Pellew said...

Hi Angie!
Exercising definitely helps my mood too! When my boys were little I started walking and running as part of my way of keeping sane. I love the feeling of having been out running or walking or whatever other exercise I'm doing.
Your exercise is definitely working as in spite of being a food blogger you are beautifully slim!!
Thanks for commenting!
Sarah
xxx

Lady Liberty Hen said...

Hi Sarah, this is such an inspiring post - thank you! I'm going to put my walking boots on right now & enjoy the day
Best wishes Liberty Hen!

Sarah Pellew said...

Hello Liberty Hen! I am so glad you liked it! Thank you! And enjoy your walk!! Sarah x

Urban Cynic said...

Good for you! I have great intentions but don't always make the time to exercise - especially as I work from home.

You'd think working from home would make it easier as I can just pop out and take 2 laps round the park (that's actually right on my bloody doorstep). sometimes I do but mostly my day just runs away with me and I go nowhere.

A few days ago though, I got out my weights and put them in plan sight on the living room floor. So now at least once a day I do some weight exercises whilst watching TV as well as some half push-ups and planks.

It's not much but having the weights there reminds me to do something at least. I've found doing this has made me want to be healthier in other ways too so it definitely works!