Tuesday 19 April 2016

Hello..... is anybody out there?

I was sitting in bed this morning trying to learn Chinese when I thought about this blog. That may seem like an odd connection, but sometimes when your mind is concentrating on one thing it can suddenly flip to another...

So there I was, learning the days of the week, when this old Secret Housewife blog popped into my head.Its been a long time since I was over here. I had almost forgotten about it, but not quite. And I thought to myself, "Am I going to give up that dear old site?"

This blog has been with me since my boys were 8 and 6 years old. I started writing it when I was alone on New Year's Eve, feeling sorry for myself - a housewife with not many interests and little confidence. Now my boys are 18 and 16 and my life has changed exponentially...


I feel like a butterfly who has spread their wings and flown into a warm, sunny day.

As I write this blog I am a fully qualified Cognitive Hypnotherapist with my own business. I have worked hard to get where I am and, to be honest, I don't think that I could ever have guessed that I would be here if you had asked me about my future on that New Year's Eve 10 years ago.

Isn't it funny how life can take you in so many different directions and no matter what happens to you there seems to always be something one can take from the ups and downs? 

If you have followed my little blog over the years then you will have read about my thoughts on whether I should go back to study for my Degree at the OU.....and then the subsequent years which saw me eventually graduate. You will have read about Post Natal Depression and about my father's death. You will have read about my dream to run the London Marathon and my elation when I crossed the finishing line. You will have read about being nominated for awards and about my anger over injustice....a bit of a hotch potch really....but its been my little hotch potch.

As time has gone by I have learnt that learning never ends... that trying new things, throwing oneself into life wholeheartedly brings huge rewards... not monetary rewards, but the reward of growth and joy. Don't get me wrong...I don't spend my days singing "The Hills are Alive..." as I frolic over fields. Some days are hard and I doubt myself often...but I am so fortunate to be where I am now....at the start of a new adventure as a Cognitive Hypnotherapist. My dream is to be able to keep doing this, to grow and learn to be the best therapist I can be, and to help as many people as I can.

I may well come back here from time to time to update the old site on what I am up to...but for now, thank you for following me.





4 comments:

joy said...

Hello Sarah, lovely to see you back here, even if only briefly. I've been blogging for 6 years (and probably following you for about 5 of those) and my blog has taken a bit of a back seat this year while my life undergoes quite significant changes (not by my own instigation) and I'm still feeling pretty bruised and battered - changes that I really don't feel like making public. I'm so pleased to hear that you have qualified, such a pity you aren't closer, I could otherwise come for a consultation! Good luck for the future, whatever it holds. Best wishes, Joy xx

Sarah Maddox said...

I also recently looked back on what I have done over the last 10 years for an art work and it is really great to see what has happened, how we have changed, and what we have achieved. When you take a step back at look this life is pretty wonderful isn't it?

Justin said...

Hi Sarah, I'm reading about your OU studies at the moment as I'm starting on my own journey this year and was looking for inspiration, and what it's like to juggle a busy home/family life with studying.
Your blog is an absolute joy to read and it's certainly inspiring me. Well done on all your achievements.

Unknown said...

Hello Joy! Its lovely to hear from you. You have always been there, commenting and supporting. I have really appreciated your presence and I am sorry to hear that life is difficult at the moment. I hope things start to look up for you. If you fancy keeping in touch my new website is at www.sarahariss.com or I am on Twitter as @SarahACogHyp Would love to hear from you x

Hello Briella. We are lucky aren't we? Looking back and reflecting sometimes is lovely.Thanks so much for commenting. x

Hello Justin. Thank you so much! I saw that you followed me on Google+ and came to read your blog. I love that I have any small part to play in people joining the OU and studying again. It is definitely possible to do and well worth it. I look forward to reading about your journey! Good luck! x

Sarah
xxx