Thursday 17 May 2007


There are days, like today, when I could just sleep for England. Yes, I know that I claimed to be part of the British synchronised eating team, but in my spare time I do fancy myself as a bit of a sleeper. In fact I reckon that I could , given half a chance, outsleep pretty much anyone on the planet.
In my youth I was known to sleep through till about 4pm, struggle out of bed to train for the synchronised pizza and tv team for a couple of hours, then back I'd go, into my comfy duvet.
Unfortunately, since the arrival of my 2 boys, my training schedule in the world of professional sleeping seems to have gone out of the window. I find myself going to bed late, after several hours of cooking, cleaning and general housewifely type stuff - followed swiftly ( far too swiftly ) by the drone of my alarm at 6.30 am. How can I possibly keep up with my fellow elite athletes with a timetable like that ? Obviously things have improved since the boys were really young. When they were babies they had absolutely no regard at all for my endeavours in the world of sleeping. I would set out on a training sleep, with the full intention to log around the 12 hour mark, and the little buggers would want feeding or changing, or some other equally ridiculous request. I have found that children, in general, have a very selfish outlook on life. They don't seem to realise that their mother could have been a contender..........
Oh, and the photo bears no relation to anything, other than the fact that I like it. My plan now is to train for the 2012 Olympics in London. By then the boys will be old enough to look after themselves. I am starting to train them in the arts of cooking and cleaning and am attempting to instill in them the realisation that I have the ability to compete for our country. This is no mean feat, you know. Not everyone can sleep for 14 hours without stopping. This is my dream - we all have to have one......

3 comments:

FarmWife said...

Maybe I'll see you there. I plan on competing in the "laying on the couch watching as many mindless movies as possible while existing solely on chocolate, pop corn, and Coke-a-Cola" event. Training is difficult, but we can do it. It's all for the good of our nations.

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you Farm Wife. In the field of competetive sport we professional athletes all recognise your event to be one of the hardest - both mentally and physically. I appreciate your dedication and wish you all the best with your training. S

trixie stix said...

Those little buggers seem to get in the way of all the fun things. But by God, we sure do love them anyway! As for training advice (I am still only an amateur), wear only hand knit socks!

Please feel free to use the poem. I don't know who wrote it, but found it on the internet.