Monday 3 December 2007

An Octopus ? I ask you...

Deck the halls with boughs of holly, tis the season to be jolly...

Well apparently at my boys school it is the season to be ecologically aware. Although the smaller children are performing a Nativity Play this year, my boys part of the school are performing some inspired piece about saving the world from pollution. All awfully worthy and I'm up for doing my bit to cut down my carbon footprint. BUT... Can you imagine how I felt when the letter came home informing me as to the costumes I had to make for the boys this year ?

No baggy robes and tea towels on the head this year... Oh no... This year we are a bumble bee and... wait for it... an OCTOPUS. A bloody octopus ??!!! Well how on earth....?? Where do I start ?? I am rubbish at sewing, work practically full time and spend the rest of my time training for a bleeding marathon. Its hard fitting in meal times, never mind make a bloody octopus costume... I am at my wits end. I have ideas of stockings stuffed with newspaper, orange ponchos, or maybe, as a last resort a sign whittled from driftwood around his neck that reads:

" I am an Octopus. Do you have a problem with that ?!"

6 comments:

Unknown said...

And you just made the end of this school semester that much better for me. I definately got a good chuckle here, S.

I'm sure you can get it done. If nothing else, just make them a robe and tie 8 pool "floaties" to it.

Margot said...

Hahaha, I love the way you wrote this! I think the stuffed stockings idea is a keeper!

FarmWife said...

Oh heavens!! Well, you know what they say. Nothing says, "The birth of our savior like Octopi."

I like the drift wood idea myself...you must post pictures of the finished piece.

Mum's the Word said...

Dress hiim in a brown hooded sweatshirt, add some tockings, cotton batting, & safety pins and viola! Of course, I recommend feeding them first as well, so if you run out of time-go with the driftwood idea and hope many a parent gets a kick out of the sarcasm.JJ

chelle said...

Well this post comes a bit late...but I am now VERY curious as to the contents of this production. It surely sounds as if some teacher is taking this opportunity to put his or her political cause in front of an audience.....either that or he just loves the little creatures of the sea!! Good luck with that costume! I'm sure it will turn out well.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am trying to picture how the bee and octopus fit into the eco-holiday theme. . . All I come up with is some crazy nightmare about Santa replacing elves with bees (they are very efficient workers you know) and one octopus doing the work eight tiny reindeer (because those deer can use a lot of energy). Any way, knowing you and your kids they will be adorable and fun should be had by all. Let us know how it goes!