Wednesday 14 January 2009

Book Club.

Tonight the girls from my Book Club are coming around. There are 9 of us and we take turns to meet up at each others houses to talk about... books. We choose a new book about every 6 weeks or so. Tonight we are discussing "The boy in the striped pyjamas".


I must say that Book Club is very enjoyable and I have read so many books that I would never have heard of if my friends hadn't read and recommended them - from "Silk" to "Memoirs of a Geisha", " Perfume" to "My friend Leonard". It is lovely to sit with friends and talk about subjects other than children and home. Of course, we are not exactly "high brow" - Book Club is also the ideal place to have a moan or a gossip!


When I think back to my younger days and compare my mind then.... I think its important to keep reading, keep thinking, keep discussing - otherwise you can just fall into a self-induced coma of intellectual lethargy. I often wish that my mind was more active, that I was more able. I have decided to try and finish the Degree I started 24 years ago and there are some days when I wonder if I will be capable. Who knows ? And I certainly won't unless I give it a go!

1 comment:

Gail said...

What a great idea. I would love to attend of meeting of like minds.
On going back to school...good for you!