Tuesday 11 August 2009

A bit of a rant about copyright and downloads...

Last night I found it hard to sleep. I have been worrying about my other blog The Secret Gallery and the fact that visitors have been downloading my art work. The thing is... its a little blog, mainly for me to keep my stuff on and secretly I hope that one day someone might even want to buy some of my art. If I could get a portfolio and maybe show at a gallery around here, then that would be amazing!


But... I really get cross when people take the micky. I am pleased that people like my art enough to copy it, but honestly... don't they even have the courtesy to comment? To say " hello... I like your picture, do you mind if I download it?"I am not a mug. I know they are doing it. I know where they come from. It is just so frustrating. I can protect my words with software, but I can only protect my art with a big watermark spread over it, which is a shame.


I suppose I need to just accept it as part of the world we live in. I know that I have the originals. But I would hate to think that people were passing my work off as their own, or making money from it when I don't. Ah well. Enough ranting... here's a picture for you, part of a series I've been working on... the rest are in m'gallery.


red pointe shoes in watercolour

9 comments:

The Girl With The Mousy Hair said...

Loving the new gallery. People are devils aren't they.
Paint your own pictures don't nick Sarah's!
It's probably because they have no talent.

Liam said...

What is? "take the Mickey"

Gail said...

I love this! You paint movement so very well.

Sorry about the thieves...

Kork said...

Beautiful work S! I'm sorry that people can be so freaking ugly about things like that...and it's lousy that your only choices are to deal with it as is, make the gallery invitation only for access, or stop putting them there at all...yuck!

Wishing that those who downloaded will step up, make their apologies by groveling at your feet for awhile...and then that someone will say "but I sent it a friend who owns a gallery and they want you to show your pictures!"...sigh...

BALLET NEWS said...

This is heavenly ! Now I have a problem though - how will I be able to use it in my article without the big watermark ?

I completely agree with you. As a professional journalist I have been worrying about this for some time. I too could not sleep last night - maybe it was the heat. This topic has really got me mad. Ive asked loads of people what can be done about it - technical things which are quite beyond me - and it seems that there is nothing Blogger.com does to prevent this happening.

In my interviews I want to be able to protect things like people's signatures, but the best I can do is ask for first name only to prevent forgery attempts.

The only way to beat these cheats is to take them to court - but a copyright lawyer is going to be costly.

I don't see why Blogger can't come up with a bit of code that cannot be manipulated so that our pictures are safe. Many of my pictures aren't even mine - they have been obtained via the press office for my use only in an editorial context. Why on earth don't people recognise this ? It gives bloggers a bad reputation.

Anyway, if we can sort out the watermark situation then I am over the moon with this one and will be off to check out the others now...

BALLET NEWS said...

p.s. this will make you laugh. When I first scrolled through the little window on the blogger dashboard to check new posts in my reading list, I looked at this picture of yours and though it was a mushroom !!!

I mean no offence, of course it isn't, but I'd only got the top and a tiny bit of a leg at the time.....

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your comments - I have ferocious friends!!Love you!!

I don't want to make the blog limited access as its great to have new people stumble by - and, as you sayKork, someone might " discover " me. Hahahaha!!

Liam - taking the mickey is a way of saying "taking advantage of someone,mocking someone inappropriately either by words or actions" otherwise known over here as "taking the piss".Mmmm....


Sarah x

Inkling said...

I can't believe someone would steal like that. That is such a shame. But maybe, you'll win out in the end and someone will "find" you and want you to sell them your work. And then you'll be famous and we'll get to say that we knew you way back when. =)

dranz3r said...

I don't know if you're gonna read this comment....but this is something I can help you with....

go on to deviantart.com and create an account...and then upload your photographs there....they have their methods of copyrighting it for you and so, every time a person downloads your image and uses it as his/her own, you get the right to sue his/her ass...!! :)

Now what you can do is post the link the deviant art people give you on your blog and you would be able to display all your pics in a copyrighted way...!! :)


Have fun posting....!