Tuesday 13 September 2011

The Eccentric Cyclist.

I always promised myself that when my youngest went to Secondary school I would start cycling to work. I work about 1 or 2 miles from home and it always seemed like a good idea, but when I was taking my son to school it was too complicated.

So, last week he started at his Secondary school, walking there with his brother and I took the plunge. I donned my helmet, bought a bike lock and girded my loins ...



The worst thing, I thought, would be having to cycle through the crowds of school children and I felt really rather nervous that they would laugh at me. But do you know what? I am so glad I have started. I absolutely love the freedom of whizzing along on my bike, wind in my hair and smile on my face ( although I try not to smile too much for fear of flies in my teeth ... )

The children I come across don't laugh at me and even if they do I don't care! Mostly we just say hello and I try not to run them over! I think that I am now entering the eccentric phase of my life. People will say " Oh, you know Sarah ... she's that woman who cycles everywhere looking like a deranged French onion seller and spends her whole time talking about her allotment!"

An excellent by-product of my eccentricity is that the weight is dropping off me! I have a new enthusiasm for exercise and am now cycling, swimming, footballing and zumbaing. Before you know it I will be stick thin and built of pure muscle ...

Well, you know I won't be, but I'll certainly be fit .. and probably wearing purple sequins and a floppy hat.

3 comments:

Lo said...

I have always admired you as the most beautiful blogger I know and was not the least bit jealous, but this is too much......

How I envy you the bike riding and exercise kick you are on.

Just kidding....good luck and more power to you.

sarah at secret housewife said...

Well, thank you Lo!! x

Urban Cynic said...

Good for you old girl! I keep meaning to get a new bike after mine was stolen earlier in the year. Cycling is so much fun and, after your bum recovers from the exertion, you feel amazing.

Keep it up lady!