Monday 30 January 2012

The right to be happy.

I posted a little while ago about having to bite my tongue and not tell someone how I felt about them. I am not a person who likes confrontation and I will avoid it if possible, but when I do eventually decide that the time has come to speak up ... I do.



I have had two occasions recently where I have felt compelled to speak out. I have not enjoyed either experience, but I know I have done the right thing. Some people, when they get angry, lose control. I go the other way. For me its as if the world slows right down and I know exactly what to say, how to counter arguments.

I am not rude. I am not aggressive. But I do speak my mind and I do not shy away from telling someone what I think of a situation. I am not prepared to be walked over.

There are some people who think that they can use their position to intimidate. Some people think that others will be afraid to speak their mind and be afraid to stand up for those around them who are weak and defenceless. Well, those people are bullies and I am not going to be bullied by them.

I am not going to go into the details on here. I would prefer that neither incident had happened, but they have, and although they have left me with a bitter after taste I know that if I had sat back and said nothing, taken what they were doling out to me, I would have felt worse.

So, we shall see what happens next. I have the right to be happy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are very right. We all need to be able to stand up for ourselves and point out when something is wrong x

Lo said...

Good for you......I hope the bitter taste doesn't linger. Do keep on speaking out.

For one thing, bullies should not be tolerated and for another, WHY should you NOT express your opinion , especially when what is being uttered is distasteful, boorish, hateful or just plain wrong?

Pauline said...

I agree with Lo. Good for you. I am quicker to speak up for someone else than for myself but will not tolerate being bullied. What happens next is rarely as bad as what was happening before!

Caz said...

Good for you, Sarah. I wish I had your powers of assertion in those situations - I'm one of those people who lose control when I get angry and what I thought was assertion is actually aggression! However, I have been practising and have learned you get heard more when you speak calmly than screaming your head off!

sarah at secret housewife said...

Thanks everyone! It wasn't pleasant, but I know I did the right thing.x

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah, I too have been through a similar situation recently and feel stronger and more content for it!

Your blogs are inspiring and your visit to mine has made my day, thanks!

Karen x

Margot said...

Heya Sarah, I know it's been an awfully long while but I hope you do remember me a little. I've read this post with interest and do think you are right in your reactions. Moreover, I love the way you describe yourself in such situations, that sentence "as if the world slows down..." is very true for me as well.
I hope you are okay.