Sunday 5 October 2014

My NaNoWriMo Challenge. Someone pass me a doughnut...

I am sitting at my kitchen table, looking out into the garden where my washing is drying and the grass needs cutting. The birds are singing and in the distance I can just about hear the faint echo of the Arsenal game on the telly.

I am, of course, on my laptop and avoiding, with consummate skill, all the chores I had lined up for this afternoon. These included scraping stickers off my son's chest of drawers and repainting it a shabby chic cream and also cutting back the brambles from our garden shed.


I am telling myself that I am an athlete in training. Not quite one of the sweaty ones you might see out doing their "long run" of the week - rather an intellectual athlete.

I have been persuaded by my brother and his partner to take part in NaNoWriMo

I have seen this strange word in hashtags across social media over the last few years, but had had no idea as to its meaning. What it stands for is National Novel Writing Month. The plan is to dash off a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November. Easy.

I've read loads of books... You just have to look at my Goodreads feed to know that I like to read. Actually turning the tables and writing a novel should be ok ... shouldn't it??

Well, who know? But I like a challenge, as those of you who have been visiting my little blog for a while will know. This seems like a good one. All it involves is a little bit of discipline, a little bit of  determination and possibly quite a few mugs of coffee..... and doughnuts. Surely all good writers eat doughnuts?

My brother, who succeeded in this mission last year, tells me that it is less about writing a best selling novel and more about the journey. Its about setting oneself a challenge and sitting down to write the 50,000 words. He has told me that putting the final full stop on the final sentence on the 30th November is a pretty magical feeling. Only 17% of the people who start NaNoWriMo finish. I would very much like to be one of those finishers.

A 50,000 word novel is the size of The Great Gatsby or Of Mice and Men. We're not talking War and Peace here....

So my plan is to outline a vague plot, think of some characters and just start writing on the 1st November. I don't aim to write a best seller. I'll be happy to get to the end of November without having my husband divorce me or my bottom spread over the sides of my chair onto the floor. (Damn you, Doughnut Fetish!) They say that everyone has a book inside them. I've never really believed that, but I might have some sort of imaginative ramblings that can add up to just under 2000 words a day.

We shall discover whether I can do this in just under 2 months. Why don't you join me? Its free and its a challenge. What's not to like??




9 comments:

joy said...

Good luck. I always thought I had a book inside me, but it seems very reluctant to show itself. I might just join you in the doughnuts though.
Joy xx

Ash said...

Hello,

Nice to read your blog again. Go for it! The novel writing thing I mean...I might (very maybe-might) join you.

I'm sitting here avoiding the mountain of work around the house (the list of jobs is now too long to be achievable, and needs re-writing) . Having commented, now I shall attempt to get things done before the school run..then drive to the swimming lesson...(sigh)

Have a lovely day..

Ash

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

Thought Id mention it so see if its just me completely losing the plot or is it on your blog page. So I came on your blog page to relax and read. I didn't realize the volume was on in my computer. I picked up my coffee and almost jumped out of my skin...spilling my coffee while I was at it...

A few seconds into reading your blog, a background song suddenly started..It goes like this..

"This is what you want, this is what you get..." followed by a man talking..

Am I missing something?

Do tell...

Sarah Pellew said...

Hello Joy
I am looking forward to the doughnut bit!! I've never thought that I had a book in me, but I'm willing to give it a try!
Hello Anon
Not sure what's going on there. I think it must be at your end because I don't have any sounds on my blog!! Sorry if it hurt your ears!
Hi Ash!
Do join me! I have no idea what I'm going to write about, but it would be great to have you along!!

Sarah
x

helloitsgemma said...

good luck, am sure with the power of doughnuts the words will flow.

Kork said...

I don't know that the book inside me is one anyone would want to read, but I'm game. I tell myself EVERY year that this is it...Who knows where it will take me?

Sarah Pellew said...

Hi Gemma
Thank you!! x

Hi Kork
Go on Kork!! Good luck and let me know how you get on!! x

Older Mum said...

Best of luck with it. I'm joining in again this year too! :o)

Sarah Pellew said...

Thanks Older Mum!
Good luck to you too! Do you do lots of planning?
Sarah
x