Friday 1 May 2015

Retraining to Become a Cognitive Hypnotherapist.

I have worked in my current job for over 11 years. I love working as a Teaching Assistant, but since I completed my Degree in 2013 I have had my eye out for my next step. I knew that it would present itself to me. I just had to be patient. I was looking for something that would stretch my mind, be rewarding and at the same time be about giving back, helping other people. I wanted to find something that would inspire me. The solution came, as these things tend to do, out of the blue. Cognitive Hypnotherapy is my future and it found me by taking away my fear.

I had been more and more fearful of a certain situation and had decided to visit a friend of mine who is in practice as a Hypnotherapist. In one session she changed my life, or at least she enabled me to change my life. My fear was gone, no longer debilitating and I felt inspired to study hypnotherapy myself. How wonderful, to be able to help people live life as they want to live it, without fear.



I started to research courses and discovered that in the UK there is no one governing body for hypnotherapists. It is still seen as outside of the mainstream. However, I was drawn again and again to one place - an institute that is proud of its cutting edge approach to Cognitive Hypnotherapy. When I have completed my course I will share with you more, but for now I am going to keep that titbit of information private! I hope you don't mind! It will give me a reason to write again about my course, because if it continues the way it has started I am going to be raving about it!

I had my first study weekend last week and I don't think I have ever felt so positive,so inspired or excited. The weekend was fantastic from start to finish - the organisation and communication, the support given by our trainers and assistants. I learnt so much in two days. By Saturday night my mind felt like it was about explode. But in a good way. If there is a good way for your head to explode!! I went home excited and full of enthusiasm. The second day was, if anything, even better, and this time my mind felt relaxed and open. We were taught theory and then two techniques which we practised. And I can tell you .... they work like magic. Magic!

So now I have to wait a month before our next study weekend. This month is going to be spent reading and practising the techniques I have learnt. My youngest son has so far avoided my attempts at relaxation therapy or anchoring, but my eldest son has proved a brilliant subject! I have started close to home, but am gradually branching out to friends and neighbours in the quest to hone my hypnotherapy skills!

It is a little bit like being a magician. To watch someone go from being awake, nervous and unsettled to being relaxed totally and then back out the other side, awake and alert yet refreshed and calm, is truly wonderful. I have so much to learn, but the learning is awe inspiring. To be able, at the age of 51, to retrain in something which I can continue for the rest of my life, is just brilliant.

5 comments:

Morgan Prince said...

What a brilliantly positive post. I think it's fantastic that you are enthusiastic about training in something new. Good for you! I can't wait to hear more about it. Xx

Sarah Pellew said...

Hello Morgan. Thanks for commenting! It does feel lovely to have found something so interesting and with such potential to change my life and those of others for the better. I shall definitely write again to update you on my progress!
Sarah
x

Angie SilverSpoon said...

That's great! I'm really happy for you...I'll have to get you to help my husband stop biting his nails!
Lots of love,
Angie

Lisa from @intotheglade said...

Gish this is so interesting and something I was going to look into. As a client not to study lol. I have just accepted a job that involves lots of travel, but I'm afraid to fly yikes. But other than that it's my dream job. If there is no governing body, how do we know who to engage? I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you and good luck xx

Sarah Pellew said...

Hi Angie!
Hope you are well! Thank you! And funnily enough I've just helped a friend stop biting their nails - its like magic!
xxx

Hello Lisa
Cognitive hypnotherapy could definitely help with fear of flying. If you look at the NCH website (National Council for Hypnotherapy) there is lots of information and links to therapists.Its the organisation of which I am a member and is well thought of.
Good luck!! Let me know how you get on. Fear is a horrible thing and I was helped tremendously by hypnotherapy.
Sarah
xxx