Wednesday 10 September 2008

Large Hadron Collider does not destroy the world.... yippee !!!

Looking at the LHC underground. LHC 300 feet underground.
LHC 17 miles long.


Yes, its official ! As of 14.27 English time today the world had not yet been destroyed ! The fears were that the experiment conducted today in Switzerland would cause black holes to be formed and thus the entire world to be sucked into them. I was hoping that if we were sucked in it would, at least, be along with the Bahamas or some other sunny part of the world. But no, life goes on. Phew !



The Large Hadron Collider had been creating real fear in my house, as you may have read in my previous post. I did go and research a little into what it was and what it was going to be doing, and I feel that, in this household, I am something of an expert now in Quantum Physics. Despite explaining to my boys that even if black holes were formed they would disappear again in 0.000000000000000000001 of a second and that we were very safe, they still stood in the playground at 8.30 am, with their friends, screaming " We are all going to die!!!!!!!!! "



But, we didn't. And I have loved seeing the scientists on the news practically turning cartwheels over the success of the experiment. Maybe physics can be interesting, I thought. The joy on the faces of the men and women who have worked for so long on this, the most expensive experiment ever undertaken, was wonderful !! I did not know, but they actually created the world wide web as part of the preparation for this. Now they hope to practically rewrite the text books, to explore deeper than ever into the origins of life and the universe.


Its stuff that makes my brain hurt, but at the same time is exciting and awe inspiring. How incredible to be part of such mind expanding amazingness !! I hope that it inspires my boys !!!

No comments: