Friday 17 April 2009

Finishing my Degree after 26 years... now a possibility?

I have just sent off my application to the Open University to complete my Degree. I started it in 1983 and completed 2 full years, but then dropped out before starting my 3rd and Final year. At the time it was the right thing to do, but now I want to finish it. I am hoping that the 2 completed years will be accepted by the OU as counting towards my final qualification.


I don't know if they will accept my paperwork or how long it will take to complete - but its in the pipeline. It would be so great to be able to say that I had a Degree. All those years ago it was not the work that I found hard at all, but the loneliness. I hated being at university and was not supported at all by any of my tutors.I spent most of my time in tears, alone, and was given no sympathy or encouragement by them. When I wrote to them to say that I would not be coming back they did not even reply to my letter. At the time I was a wreck. I can hardly bring myself to contemplate the thought that I might have "closure" over this... that I might gain my Degree and be able to hold my head high.


There is still a long way to go, but this is the beginning.

3 comments:

emily said...

Good for you. I've heard the beginning is a very good place to start. :)

trixie stix said...

Maybe you will be my inspiration to finish my degree! Wishing you closure and good studies.

Unknown said...

Thanks Emily and Trixie!S