Monday 20 July 2009

Ballet sketches....don't laugh...

I am a follower and avid reader of Elise's blog the Royal Ballet and I mentioned some time ago that I used to enjoy sketching ballet dancers. I just love the way their bodies move and verge on obsession with pointe shoes!! She , very flatteringly, asked me to do some sketches for her blog. Well, its a long time since I sketched anything, but I decided to give it a go.


I spent this afternoon hidden away with my pencil and water colour pad trying to do some drawings of dancers. These are my first efforts. Some I like, others I am not so keen on.But, what I have discovered is that I enjoy drawing and am going to continue so that I get better.


I hope you like them and I would recommend a visit to Elise - her blog is fascinating.

Please click on them to ge a better look as they are a bit on the pale side.




Having looked at them on the blog.... they are very faint. I will have to have a go with pen and ink I think, Elise, but I will try again. I feel a bit embarrassed putting them on here... please don't worry if you don't like them!

6 comments:

Gail said...

An artist, too! You wear many hats!

BALLET NEWS said...

Sarah,

I'm speechless. They are utterly perfect ! I love your style - it's exactly the kind of drawing I was looking for.

Never in a million years did I think that I might be able to commission a drawing, as it were, for my site, when I can only offer a credit and a link to the artist.

I would be honoured to have your drawings on my site !

I agree with you that they are a tiny bit pale - I think as a header shot for my new interview series I would need something a tiny bit bolder so that it stands out - but these are definately right.

I don't really have anything fixed in my mind about what the drawing actually shows, I just want to get the feeling of transition from being a student to being a paid member of a professional company. And, I am interviewing male and female dancers so the drawing needs to depict both in some way. Sorry, I'm not asking much am I !

But your drawings are excellent and I'm really pleased if I've encouraged you to start up again.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh.Thank you. I am so relieved!! I shall get drawing and inking.S

Kork said...

Sarah - these are so amazingly beautiful! What talent you have! I hope you continue to brush up your skills, and make time to draw...

The Girl With The Mousy Hair said...

I think you have been hiding your talents my dear!
The ballet is wonderful but i am ashamed to say I do spend a lot of it looking at the men in tights.

Cwybrow said...

You need to illustrate ballet books :) so many of them have terrible feet or knees but you have just the right line here :)